Sunday, October 21, 2012

Ohio DL Schools

For an Ohio learner looking into an online education for K-12th grade there are five major choices:

Connections Academy
ECOT
k12
VCS
Virtual School House

I took the time to research into all of these possibilities as if I am a parent of a child looking into online education, and I would like to post my results here!

First I will discuss the choice I liked the least, ECOT. ECOT stands for the Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow. ECOT has more than ten years of experience as an E-School, making it one of ohio's oldest  E-schools. Students are expected to complete at least 25 hours of school work, just like a public school-- so there are no "lower standards" there. Students are also expected to pass the OGT to attain a high school diploma. ECOT is tuition free, and gives students free computers and broadband in the safety of their own home. Students can log on and complete their work 24 hours a day. Although all of this sounds great, ECOT's website does not talk about how students can still get in the community interactions with other children they need. Also, are there any extra-curricular activities my kids can get involved in so they can excel in things besides JUST academics?

Secondly I will discuss the choice I liked the most, Ohio Connections Academy. This school has just as strong an academic curriculum as ECOT or any of the other schools-- but it goes beyond that. OCA is the only Ohio E-School rated excellent! Growing up in Hilliard City Schools- who rated excellent my entire academic career, I wouldn't expect anything less for my kids! OCA also takes a huge interest in community and interactions with the students. Students will live-chat with students and teachers during class. Students get phone sessions with teachers. They offer many clubs and sports. And a strong PTA schedules fun educational field trips and events for students to partake in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment